Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Hurt Locker (2009)

The Hurt Locker (link to amazon)

Directed by Kathryn Bigelow
Viewed 3-27-10

What can I say? I'm disappointed. After all the awards hoopla, I was ready for a great movie. I could have been just as thrilled watching a pizza guy making deliveries, waiting and knowing that he might get mugged at any moment. I mean it's neat to see "Iraq" in a "realistic" portrayal, and I really got into the documentary style way this movie was shot. BUT, I think I missed the point of it all. This movie was a series of missions strung together, a countdown to the end of deployment, so much expectation...

Was there a plot? I never felt a connection to any of the characters. Some of the people I watched the movie with got lost in the details, and we had to pause it several times to explain. Most of the confusion was the military jargon. This movie is not for everyone. I'm sure someone out there thinks this movie is the best ever and it was made with them in mind, but I'm not that person.

Between Avatar and Hurt Locker, I think Precious was the best movie by far. I get more action and thrill watching my 11 year old play Modern Warfare 2.

Grade: I give this a D-.
Age: no nudity or sexual content, but everything else is well represented... R for a reason.

No comments: