Friday, March 26, 2010

Brothers (2008)

Brothers (link to amazon)

Directed by Jim Sheridan
Viewed 3-25-10

Brothers has a nice set up, good secrets and a homefront dynamic. The characters seemed a bit dry and average... only Tobey Maguire's character, Captain Sam, really seems to evolve. The kids were excellent, and Natalie Portman is almost a believable mom. It was too bad the audience seemed to know everything and the characters knew nothing. This movie created great suspense, but left a lot of drama on the table. I feel so empty and unfulfilled.

This movie is called a thriller by IMDB.. I don't see it. I wanted there to be secrets from the homefrount... but no. I would have rather seen a horrific, bloody ending... but no. This film is basically safe and sterile in it's portrayal of PTSD, and how war can change a person. I had high expectations and this movie proved to be a huge waste of my time. Portman sure has a freaking awesome sad face=). With the exception of a couple of scenes, Gyllenhaal and Maguire once again proved to me that they are at best average actors. The kids stole this show, and the actors are Taylor Geare and Bailee Madison. I look for lots of good things from Bailee.

Grade: I give this a D+. It was disappointing, predictable, and lame. The pacing was nice. The amount of times that stuff that went unspoken, and I could easily fill in the blank... the screenwriter's rule of thumb "get out early"... kept this film from being an F. Did I mentions the kids?
Age: adult content, hardcore violence, and heavy language... R for a reason.

No comments: