Monday, March 29, 2010

Choke (2009)

Choke (link to amazon)

Directed by Clark Gregg
Viewed on 3-28-10

One of the weirdest movies I could have picked to watch. I didn't know much about this movie going in... turns out it's about sex addiction, mother and jesus. Victor, the main character played by Sam Rockwell, works by day as a historical reenactor at a colonial Williamsburg theme park, and his hobbies include hitting on the milk lady, having meaningless sex (preferably with strangers) and choking on food as a way to augment his income. His best friend Denny is also a sex addict.

Let me explain... Victor's mother, played by Anjelica Huston, is a con-artist with a terminal illness. Denny falls in love with a stripper who recites biblical theory, Victor repeatedly fails at having sex with a willing, ovulating, would-be doctor... okay... there is too much to explain, allow me sum up... This movie is a zany trip through the universe of sex, family ties, therapy and growth, unexpected love, and learning the truth about one's self.

I found the movie to be funny, but usually not in a cute way. Deep, adult oriented themes and humor at least kept me from turning it off. However, when I strictly compare it to the previous movies I have just reviewed, Brothers and Hurt Locker, Choke should earn a B+. But this is not the case. As far as being a great "American Movie" it is not. Choke is so bizarre that I really don't know what to make of it. It may be worth your time for the adventure of it.

Grade: a solid C for entertainment value.
Age: adults only

No comments: