Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Mr. Freedom (1969)

Mr. Freedom (link to amazon)
 
Directed by William Klein
Viewed 7-22-2014

I had no idea what to expect. A super hero satire? More like a political satire. It turned out to be a cold war battle between metaphorical empirical powers. The red white and blue dude. Maybe he's France, maybe he's America, who cares. The communist antagonists came as a Russian dude and a red China dragon inflatable.

Still with me? At times the genre flipped... it was horror, comedy, drama, on-stage musical, sexually presented, propaganda, mixed with some actual footage at regular intervals... I call it a time capsule of television of the late 60s. It could be a documentary, but it's not.

I enjoyed it, even though it is a little dated with its political messages. I'm sure I missed some of the content because, let's face it, this film was made before I was born. Barely.

For originality, the film's age and circumstance of being shot by an ex-patriot, big idea film, and because it was so many things all at the same time... I give it a range from B to C-. It is what it is.

Age: 60+ to get all the jokes. It's a little forced and in your face and without excessive confusion and explanation, maybe someone as young as 20 would enjoy it. For pure entertainment, 15+ seems adequate. If a teenager would even want to sit still long enough to watch it, I'd be shocked.

No comments: