Sunday, April 11, 2010

2012 (2009)

2012 (link to amazon)
Directed by Roland Emmerich
Viewed 4-10-10

I expected a War of the Worlds sort of story and that's what I got. There is grave danger beyond the characters' control, there are stumble upon opportunities, lots of conflict to overcome, a family reunion... all the stuff I was looking for. What surprised me was the amount of wall to wall destruction and unrelenting pace of action.

Lots of people died. Lots of the Earth was destroyed. Actual plot was scattered throughout in small doses. It was kind of predictable, most apocalypse movies tend to be a certain way. Especially when weaving a romance or family storyline within the OMG of the world coming to an end. Always a nice juxtaposition.

Most of the action sequences were visually pleasing and amazing. I assume a whole bunch of CGI made this movie possible. Actual actors on camera seemed sparse in comparison.

I give this 2012 a B- and it could have gone higher or lower real easily.
Age: 10+ perhaps. Some pretty intense catastrophe scenes and a memorable obscene gesture.

No comments: