Friday, October 31, 2008

Inside Man (2006)

Inside Man (link to amazon)
Directed by Spike Lee
Viewed 10-16-08

This movie seemed to be separated into two parts: during the bank robbery, and after the bank robbery. During the bank robbery, I was hoping for a great movie like Dog Day Afternoon or Die Hard. But, (long pause) No. And after the bank robbery, I think I might have caught some Z's.

Many scenes seemed typical Spike Lee style drawing attention toward racial/ethnic ideals, as well as seemingly useless dialouge and typical Spike Lee occurrences. Some transitions were cliche and the whole reason for the bank robbery, cover up, and blood money was not clear. The movie seems to lack a moment of resolution. For a movie that could have gone so many directions, especially down the safe boulevards of successful movie formulas paved over and over like a perpetual pendulum of hollywood regurgitations... but, no. We see a lonely alley for this concept, far away from the shopping centers and attractions. I actually went to a store and bought this DVD ($5.99 I think it was) and now I feel I got screwed.

Some of the overly simple plot devices were at first annoying, but then the simplicity won out and K.I.S.S. made sense. One thing worth noting: not a single, actual death was portrayed in the entire movie. Barely any violence at all. A bank robbery without violence, cool.

Our expectations were high, but this movie fell short. With that in mind, we didn't mind giving this movie a D-. Any movie loaded with this kind of star power must be held to a higher standard.